Sunday, August 15, 2010

Classic Tuna Noodle Casserole | StarKist

This post is from Wednesday. Never got a chance to finish it up. So here it is in its finality.

Tried this recipe today with some alterations. Classic Tuna Noodle Casserole | StarKist

I thought it was delicious. Aaron wasn't so sure but he had never had tuna casserole before. My biggest goal was to find something that was healthy and didn't require cheese. Most tuna casseroles that I have had in the past had a lot of cheese in them. This was a good alternative. I didn't even miss the cheese!

Here's how I altered it:

2 can of Starkist Light Chunk Tuna in water, drained and rinsed (to remove as much salt as possible)
3 cups of frozen mixed veggies (I used a stir fry one that I had on hand)
1/2 can of milk (using the soup can)
1 oz tortilla chips (I used this instead of crackers because it was what I had but would skip it next time)
4 oz whole wheat elbow macaroni
1 can of Cream of Mushroom soup (I used the Heart Healthy type which had 50% less sodium)
Garlic powder
Italian seasoning

I pretty much followed the recipe directions but here it is in case you don't want to go to the link.

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cook noodles according to package directions. In the last two minutes (or so) add the frozen vegetables to the pasta. Drain when done. (Don't worry about the pasta being 100% cooked because it does cook some in the oven but you do want it to be relatively soft.)
3. In another bowl mix together the tuna, soup, milk, and seasonings.
4. Use a 8x8 casserole dish to transfer the ingredients. Pour in part of the soup ingredients, add pasta, and mix. Then pour in the rest of the soup ingredients and combine again. You want it to be mixed well. (I did this instead of using a large bowl to mix it in. Saved dishes.)
5. Bake for 15 minutes. Add the chips (if you want them) and then cook for another 5-10 minutes until it is hot all the way through.


I would say that it feeds about 4 people. That makes for decent sized servings. You don't have to worry about it being the only dish because it includes calcium, protein, fiber, and veggies all in one dish! Its very healthy and wonderfully delicious. I think about half of it made for around 380 calories when I figured it all out. It varies depending on your actual ingredients though.

 Hope you try it and find it as delicious as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment