Sunday, August 22, 2010

Betty Crocker Coffee Cake Recipe Altered

I took one of our "family" recipes (that mom got out of a Betty Crocker cookbook) and altered it some tonight. This was one of my favorite breakfasts growing up. We could look forward to the house smelling like cinnamon and brown sugar melting in the oven many Sunday mornings. As much as I love the original, I wanted to make it healthier. The altered version still has a lot of sugar in it and I am not sure that I like the way the Splenda tastes in it (I have only cooked with Splenda one other time) but I still think it turned out pretty well. I'm not sure where I would cut out more sugar. Probably the applesauce. The brown sugar is essential, although I have heard that there is a Splenda version of that. I don't know how good it is though. Anyway, here's what I came up with. (The things in parenthesis are what I altered the recipe to include. The directions are in my own awkward words.)




¼ cup oil (cinnamon applesauce)
1 egg
½ cup milk (fat free)
1 ½ cup flour  (4 tbsp wheat germ, ¾ cup white flour, ½ cup whole wheat flour)
¾ cup sugar (splenda)
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
(2 apples, green, finely cut)

Mix the wet ingredients together in one bowl and the dry ingredients in another. Add dry mixture to the wet mixture. Add the apple and stir until mixed and all the dry ingredients are moistened.

¼ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp flour (whole wheat)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp melted butter (Smart Balance margarine)

Mix ingredients together to create a crumble. Sprinkle on top of the cake. Bake in the oven at 375° for 25 minutes.

Nutrition Facts:


1 Serving: (8 servings total) (for the altered version)

Calories: 145
Fat: 7
Sat: .4
Trans: 0
Chol: 27
Carb: 29
Fiber: 3
Sugar: 12
Sodium: 268
Protein: 5
Potassium: 68
Iron: 6%
Vit A: 2%
Vit E: 5%
Vit D: 4%
Calcium: 4%
Vit C: 9%
Vit B12: 2%
Vit B6: 2%
Thiamin: 3%
Phosphorus: 5%
Magnesium: 2%
Zinc: 2%
Riboflavin: 1%







No comments:

Post a Comment